Here are some fun facts about hair that you’ll never guess
Each day we pay attention to our hair: many of us wash and style the hair on our heads while taking care to pluck, wax, shave, trim, and cut the hair on other parts of our bodies. But how often do you think about what, exactly, your hair is made of or how, exactly, your hair grows? We are fascinated with hair and hair follicles – both how they function and why they exist.
Below we have shared ten fascinating facts about hair.
- The shape of your hair follicles affects the type and texture of your hair.
- Hair follicles cover almost your entire body with the exception of your palms, the soles of your feet, your eyelids, your lips, and your mucous membranes
- Your hair grows faster in warm weather when hot temperatures promote circulation and increase blood flow to your follicles.
- Goosebumps occur when tiny muscles attached to the base of the hair follicle are activated from cold, fear or euphoria. It is the same mechanism that porcupines use when they raise their quills as a predator approaches.
- Adult stem cells are responsible for hair production.
- The average person sheds between 40 and 150 strands of hair each day.
- Each hair follicle includes a nearby sebaceous gland, which creates the waxy, oily substance that coats your skin. This substance helps protect the body against bacteria, viruses, and other germs.
- Hair growth comes in three phases: growth, cessation, and rest. The hair cycle of the scalp is 3-4 years, while the hair cycle of the eyebrow is around 4 months. This is why the hair on your head gets so long!
- At any given time, about 90 percent of your follicles are growing hair while ten percent are at rest.
- A hair plexus or root hair plexus is a group of nerve fibers that act as sensory receptors. These receptors send signals to your brain about how your hair is moving.
Hair Treatments At Our Medical Spa
As fascinating as hair and hair follicles can be, many people seek easy, effective, and economical hair removal solutions – either to thin hair in certain areas or to eliminate it as completely as possible. Laser hair removal Missoula is a safe and cost-effective treatment for unwanted hair, and we provide the service with a state-of-the-art machine, all under the direction of a physician. To learn more about the hair removal services at our medical spa, please contact us today by calling or by filling out our short contact form.