Hair Removal Treatments
Laser Hair Removal: What Is It & How Does It Work?
Hair reduction: Palomar Icon IPL treatments
- Light-based treatments have transformed the world of skin care. They make it easy to treat a wide range of skin concerns without harsh chemicals or surgical procedures and can even remove hair for smoother, flawless-looking skin. Dr. Pacheco can help you decide if IPL hair reduction treatments are right for you.
IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light. During an IPL treatment, broad-spectrum visible light is focused on the treatment area. The pigment in the hair absorbs the light energy, creating heat, which damages the hair follicle. The hair is lost, and the follicle’s ability to regrow it is damaged and may be lost entirely. This means that you’ll be able to enjoy long-term results.
What to Expect from Palomar Icon IPL Hair Reduction Treatments
- Before your Palomar Icon IPL treatments, you’ll need to prepare. For several weeks before the procedure, you’ll need to avoid sun exposure, tanning beds and sunless tanner creams or sprays and anything that could alter the color of the treatment area. Immediately before treatment, you’ll need to make sure that your skin is free of any makeup or lotion.
- Dr. Pacheco will review the procedure with you, explain aftercare and answer any questions that you have. A special gel will be applied to the treatment area, and you will be given eye shields to protect your eyes. The Icon handpiece will then be guided over the treatment area, and as the energy is delivered, you might experience a minor snapping sensation similar to a rubber band.
The handpiece creates a cooling sensation to keep you comfortable, and we may apply a cooling gel after the treatment. There’s no need for bandages, ointments or medications once the procedure is finished, but you might feel as though you have a minor sunburn in the treatment area for a few days. This is normal, and you will still be able to go back to your normal routine immediately after the procedure.
Over the next few days, the treated hairs will begin to fall out. Due to the nature of growth cycles, you will likely need additional sessions to treat new hair as it grows. You can shave between sessions as needed. Most people will need several sessions to achieve a permanent reduction of hair. Any hairs that do regrow will come in thinner, finer and less noticeable than they were before treatment.
Benefits of Palomar Icon IPL treatments
- With our laser hair removal in Missoula, the light is highly focused in a specific area. IPL uses broad-spectrum light instead, which spreads out over a larger coverage area. This makes it a good choice for larger areas, such as legs or arms, and speeds treatment times. IPL is gentle enough to be used on the face but should not be used in close proximity to the eyes, such as on the eyebrows.
IPL offers permanent results, with a dramatic reduction in hair regrowth. Some patients may need periodic touch-up sessions to maintain their new looks.
Risks and Side Effects
The non-invasive nature of IPL means that side effects are few and generally minor. Your skin might swell and feel itchy or tender. Some inflammation is normal. You can combat any discomfort by using a rich moisturizer. After treatment, your skin may be more sensitive to the sun, so it’s essential that you use a high-quality sunblock to protect it. You also need to avoid scratching, which can damage the treated skin.
Other Uses of IPL
Laser hair removal is often used for hair reduction, but it can also be used in other cosmetic applications, including:
- Treating icepick scars
- Brightening and rejuvenating skin
- Minimizing fine lines
- Erasing blotches, age spots and discoloration
- Evening skin tone
If you’ve got excess body hair or unwanted hair, you might be a candidate for IPL. Call our offices today to learn more about your hair removal options or to schedule your consultation with Dr. Lisa Pacheco.
Would You Like to Book a Consultation?
On Your mobile phone, simply click the button and connect with our friendly staff to book your consultation.