Here are some tried and tested natural ways to prevent wrinkles
Wrinkles are a natural part of aging. As we enter the late 30s and 40s, they begin to show. Thanks to the advancements in modern technology, we can now delay and even reverse their appearance. However, if you follow some tips, you can prevent or at least delay their appearance.
In this article, we will explore some lifestyle changes that can prevent the onset of facial wrinkles and fine lines. So let’s read on.
1) Sun Protection
- Protecting your skin from the harmful rays of the sun is the number one rule of skincare. The UVA and UVB rays in the sunlight destroy the collagen, leading to thinning of the skin and the appearance of premature wrinkles.
Most dermatologists agree that regular application of broad-spectrum sunscreen during the day offers much-needed protection from sun damage. The importance of sunscreen can be estimated from the fact that dermatologists recommend the application of sunscreen even when you are indoors or when the sky is covered with clouds. UV rays can penetrate clouds, hence unprotected exposure should be avoided at all costs.
- Another tip to minimize sun damage is to wear wide-brim hats, and sunglasses with UV protection when exposed to direct sunlight.
- We have all experienced cracked heels, especially during winters. The cracks appear due to the lack of moisture. The same is the case with facial skin, which is a lot more delicate and requires regular application of moisturizers to retain its water content. Moisturizers hydrate and nourish the skin and maintain the skin’s elasticity. Well-hydrated skin is less prone to the development of wrinkles and fine lines.
Topical application of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring lubricant, has proven to be quite effective in retaining the skin’s natural moisture content. So choose a moisturizer that contains a higher concentration of hyaluronic acid along with other beneficial components.
3) Load Up on Water
- To keep the skin hydrated from inside, it is essential to drink 2-3 L of water every day. Studies have proved that maintaining optimal levels of water has a positive effect on the skin’s physiology. For enhanced benefits, add a tablespoon of lemon juice to your first glass of water in the morning. It helps in reducing oxidative stress and radical damage to the skin.
4) Adopt Healthy Dietary Habits
Your dietary habits will determine how your skin ages with time. Eating food that is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties can do wonders for your skin. They can delay the onset of wrinkles and lead to better-looking radiant skin. Some of the most nutritious foods include:
- Flax and chia seeds
- Leafy greens and broccoli
5) Sleep on your Back
- Recent studies have revealed that sleeping straight on the back can prevent wrinkle formation. The rationale behind this is that during this position the face experiences the least mechanical or compressional force. Sleeping on the side or sleeping on the stomach causes the rubbing of facial skin with a pillow which can accelerate wrinkle formation and distort the skin.
Another helpful tip is to use silk pillowcases instead of cotton. They are gentler on the skin and do not suck moisture out of it.
Following these tips will lead to healthy and wrinkle-free skin for a long time. To rectify existing wrinkles, you can opt for various cosmetic procedures such as Botox, Juvederm, Dysport, and Xeomin. Missoula Wellness and Medispa treat wrinkles and fine lines through these cosmetic procedures. Contact us at 406-549-6600. We are located in Missoula, MT.