Learn the pros and cons of IPL hair removal treatment and its cost
IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light. It is a form of cosmetic treatment in which pulses of laser light are directed at the target body parts. IPL technology is used for treating spider veins and for improving skin texture and pigmentation. However, it is most commonly and successfully used as a hair removal treatment.
In this procedure, laser rays are emitted across the target area through a handheld flashgun. Our body hair contains a pigment called melanin. Melanin is found in abundance at the root or bulb of the hair. The laser rays travel through the skin and reach the root of the hair. Here, the laser rays are absorbed readily. The energy of the laser rays destroys the follicle from where the hair emerges. As a result, the hair goes into the resting phase and results in soft hair-free skin.
Pros of IPL Hair Removal Treatment
IPL hair removal treatment has grown in popularity because it offers the following advantages:
Little to No Side Effects
- IPL hair removal treatment is a safe hair removal method that offers little to no side effects. Any skin sensitivity that may occur is dissolved in a couple of days.
Cost-Effective Treatment With Long-Lasting Results
- IPL hair removal treatment is a perfect choice because it offers long-lasting results. After 3 to 7 sessions of laser treatment, you will see a drastic reduction in the growth of body hair. You will enjoy hair-free skin for 2 to 3 months before having another dose of the treatment.
By opting for IPL hair removal treatment, you will save considerable money which is otherwise spent on expensive wax treatments, depilatory creams, or razors. IPL has a considerable up-front cost but, unlike other hair removal treatments, it does not have a recurrent cost. Hence IPL saves money, time, and hassle.
Does Not Leave Any Ingrown Hairs
- Hair removal methods such as threading, waxing, and the use of epilator pull hair out from its roots. In doing so, sometimes some part of the hair remains inside and does not get pulled out completely. These are called ingrown hair. They are painful to remove and give an unsightly appearance. With IPL, you won’t have to deal with any ingrown hairs because all hair will be burnt from the follicle.
Cons of IPL Hair Removal
Even though IPL is a super effective and safe hair removal treatment, certain risks and precautions have to be taken when opting for this form of treatment. It has the following potential disadvantages:
May Cause Temporary Changes in The Pigment
- IPL laser treatment uses intense pulses of light to target the melanin that occurs at the root of the hair. Exposure to high-intensity laser light can cause a temporary change in the skin’s pigment which can lead to discoloration.
Avoid Skin Tanning
- One important precaution to take before and after getting IPL laser treatment is to abstain from natural or fake tanning. This can lead to skin damage.
IPL Laser Treatment Has Limitations
IPL hair removal treatment has certain limitations and is not suitable for removing hair from the following areas:
- Male facial hair
- Peach fuzz hair
Another thing to remember is that the lighter the hair i.e. containing less quantity of melanin, the more resilient they are to IPL hair removal treatments.
To get the best results with IPL hair removal treatments, contact Missoula Wellness and Medispa. We offer state-of-the-art Palmer Icon IPL Hair removal services in Missoula, MT, and nearby areas. To book an appointment, call us at 406-549-6600.